What Are “Disbursements”?
Disbursements are costs that are out of control of the funeral director / facilitator and are separate to their “professional services”.
Typical disbursements include:
- Cremation / burial costs
- Doctors’ certificates
- Church / venue for service
- Minister / officiant / celebrant
- Newspaper notices
- Service sheets for the ceremony
- Book of condolences
- Organist etc…
What Is A Natural Burial?
Where the deceased is buried in a area that creates habitat for wildlife, improves poor or unmanaged habitat or preserves an existing habitat already rich in flora and fauna. These areas could be woodland, meadows, orchards, aquatic or sustainably managed farmland.
How Can I Reduce The Environmental Impact of My Funeral?
- Do not be embalmed
- Use natural bio-degradable materials for the coffin, shroud and burial clothes
- Ensure responsible use of natural resources for both the funeral arrangements and the background management ethos of the burial ground
- Choose environmentally-friendly and carefully sourced memorials.
What Are The Benefits of Natural Burial Grounds?
- They provide a legacy of land that is protected and will have a material and social role long after the site has been filled
- The process of photosynthesis (exchange of carbon dioxide and oxygen) from trees and plants in a natural burial ground help to combat global warming
- The organic and natural management of the land creates suitable habitats for birds and insects.
- The use of diesel-powered machinery is reduced as graves are hand-dug where practicable
- There are no strict daily or weekly management regimes such as mowing lawns
What Is A Memorial Website?
A memorial website is an internet website dedicated to the life and memory of someone who has died. A memorial website generally has the following sections and features:
- The life story of the deceased
- A full-featured online memorial gallery with photos, videos and audio clips
- Personalised designs based on a variety of web page templates
- A unique web address that allows easy access to the online memorial
- Memorial websites can be shared with family and friends. It is easy to build a site together regardless of geographical location
- Tributes and comments – friends and family can post messages, prayers and other items of love and affection
- Mailing lists of people to be notified about site updates or major events such as anniversary dates
What Are Soul Midwives?
Soul Midwives are non-medical, holistic companions who guide and support the dying in order to facilitate a gentle and tranquil death.
- listen, provide gentle therapeutic techniques and ensure compassionate care at all times
- work holistically with both the spirit and the soul of the dying person
- keep a loving vigil
- create and hold a sacred and healing space for the dying person
- recognise and support the individual needs of the departing soul to enable a tranquil death
- use sound, touch, colour and smell and other gentle techniques to help alleviate pain and anxiety
- support families and loved ones.
The Soul Midwife’s most important role is to provide comfort, continuous support and reassurance in helping a dying person to experience the death he or she wants.